Wednesday, March 15, 2006

LOCUS is coming



Each edition of LOCUS will feature poetry by guest editors selected from roughly three cities or regions in the U.S. Guest editors will solicit and receive work from their designated areas from, I think, about five poets. Each poet will contribute 10 poems to provide readers with a generous sampling of their work—to get a real sense of what each poet is accomplishing.

Each guest editor will also contribute a brief synopsis of their take on the local poetry scene and the work they've collected for their edition. Therefore, cities and regions can be represented multiple times over times by various editors, each providing insight into poetry's connection to place and community.

The editions will be organized by locus: that is, by the city of origin.

Additionally, I will arrange reading events to correspond with each issue in each city or region featured in LOCUS. The guest editor will need to show up and welcome the audience to the event as I cannot travel to each city, but I will do as much as I can to facilitate the event remotely. Ideally, these events will be recorded and added to the site in podcast format (or, samples of readings will be podcast).

I'm looking for some volunteer guest editors to help create the first issue. I'd like to hit a few regions to start. I'm thinking three of these cities will be featured in the first edition and the rest in subsequent editions:

Boston
Miami
Minneapolis
Phoenix
Seattle
St. Louis


If you or somone you know lives in one of these cities and is interested in guest editing, please drop me a line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home